Academic Advising

Academic advising at Rochester is a student-centered activity that:

  • Supports the transition from high school to college
  • Guides students as they develop and test their academic plans
  • Connects students with academic opportunities and campus resources
  • Supports students in the completion of their undergraduate degree

There are four primary groups of academic advisors:

  1. College advisors
  2. Faculty advisors
  3. Staff advisors in the College Center for Advising Services (CCAS)
  4. Peer advisors

Additionally, throughout their years of study at Rochester, students develop relationships with other staff and faculty from many different offices. Collectively, these relationships form a student’s community of advising resources.

Visit the student overview page to learn more about academic advising.

College and Major Advisors

Academic advising in the College is available to all undergraduate students who seek it. Each new first-year and transfer student is assigned to a College advisor who will remain with them from their first semester of college until graduation.

Students are assigned a faculty advisor from the major department when they are admitted into a major, usually during sophomore year or at the beginning of junior year. For each subsequent major and/or minor declaration, a faculty or program advisor from the academic department will be assigned.

Students majoring in engineering stay with their assigned faculty advisor, College advisor and undergraduate coordinator throughout the four years.

General Advising

Undergraduates with academic questions or concerns are encouraged to visit the College Center for Advising Services (CCAS) in Lattimore 312. Staff advisors are available every day on a walk-in basis or by appointments, which may be scheduled online.

Advisors can help you:

  • Plan courses
  • Explore independent study and internship opportunities
  • Find campus resources

The assistant dean in the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is available in Lattimore 301. Students can also arrange to see the dean of first year students by calling (585) 275-2354.

Advising Records

Officially assigned academic advisors normally use UR Student for the most current advising records for their advisees. Advisors who need assistance accessing their advisees' records should contact the supervisor of academic records in the College Center for Advising Services.