Beginning with registration and through the second week of the semester, students can add courses to their program using the online registration system. In the event that a course requires the permission of the instructor, the student would request permission to register during the registration process. Students who wish to overload by carrying more than 19 credit hours at any time during the semester, are required to meet the specific criteria established by the faculty.
Most regular courses can be added during the third week of the semester and up until the end of the fourth week of the semester as long as faculty permission has been granted. However, faculty members may choose to deny permission to students who request to add a course after the second week of the semester. The following types of courses have special earlier deadlines:
- WRTG 105/105E courses must be added by the end of the second week of the semester
- Four-credit independent study courses must be added by the end of the third week of the semester using the online independent study form
- One- and two-credit courses that meet for the whole semester must be added by the end of the third week of the semester
- One- and two-credit courses that meet for the part of the semester must be added no later than the end of the second week of classes
See the academic calendar for exact dates.
In general, it is not a good idea to add a course as late as the fourth week of the semester unless the student has been attending it. Students should decide their courses as early as possible in the semester and discuss their selections with their advisors.
- Complete each section of the PDF form
- Save the form to your desktop
- Email completed form as an attachment to email@example.com
After the form is sent to Undergraduate Records, you will then receive an email from a CCAS advisor before the Drop/Add Form can be processed.
Students are not required to review the form with their undergraduate or faculty advisor prior to submitting the form.
To add a course after the second week of the semester, students must complete an online Drop/Add Form.
If a course is being added after the second week of the semester, the signature or authorization of the instructor is required.
First-year students and sophomores who are not yet official majors need the signatures or authorization of their undergraduate advisors.
Students in the Hajim School of Engineering and Applied Sciences need the permission of their faculty advisor and a department stamp.
To add a course after the deadline, students must submit a petition with the reasons for requesting a late change to the College Center for Advising Services (CCAS). This petition will be reviewed by (and requires the approval of) the Administrative Committee. Approval is not automatic.
Students are not permitted to add a course late more than once during their academic career.