A grade of “I” should be given only when there are circumstances beyond the student’s control, such as illness or personal emergency, that prevented the student from finishing the coursework on time. Under no circumstances can the “I” grade be given for a student who wished to:

  • Do additional work after the course deadline to improve a grade
  • Redo the coursework in a subsequent semester to improve the current grade

Requesting an Incomplete Grade

A form requesting an incomplete grade, indicating the work outstanding and the deadline for its completion, must be signed by both the student and the instructor and emailed to the College Center for Advising Services (CCAS).

  1. Student fills out the Incomplete Contract form and digitally signs.
  2. Student emails form to instructor. Instructor reviews, modifies, and digitally signs. Instructor can email final draft to student, save a copy for their records, and email to Undergraduate Records at
  3. Records will monitor deadline date and notify student when deadline has expired. Instructor is expected to submit grade within two weeks after the deadline of the contract unless notifying Undergraduate Records of an extension.

Time-Limits and Extensions

There is a one-semester limit for completion of the course, unless the College permits an extension. (Extensions are routinely granted when students are expected to complete their work by attending the course the next time it is offered, if the course is taught only once a year.)

Incompletes and Summer Courses

If an incomplete grade is awarded in a summer class, a student is not permitted to audit the course and complete the work the following summer.  Additionally, if a student earns an incomplete during the fall or spring semester, and wishes to complete the work by registering for the course over the summer, permission of the instructor is required and additional charges to audit the course will apply.

Completing Coursework

Students should not re-register for the course for credit, but should instead make arrangements to audit if the terms of the contract require students to do the work again.

Transcripts and Grades

Once a final grade has been submitted, whether passing or failing, the “I” grade will be removed from the transcript. The “I” grade will still continue to appear on the advising record. The instructor can request a waiver of the recording of the “I” on the advising record when the lateness was created by circumstances unrelated to the student, such as equipment failure in a laboratory.

If a student fails to submit the form or to complete the work by the deadline, their grade will be changed to “E” (failing), unless the instructor noted on the form that a different grade should be assigned. The dean of the College will inform the student of an impending change before notifying the registrar. The student is allowed to talk to their instructor, who may allow an extension on a signed “Incomplete” form.

Instructors are advised to report an “N” grade when they have no record of a student’s attendance, or if the student attended but neither completed the course nor arranged for an incomplete. 

The instructor can later decide to award a grade, in which case an “I” will be placed on the student’s advising record to show that the work was completed late. If students do not make arrangements to complete the course they will, after appropriate warning, be given the failing grade of “E.”