Study Abroad

The first step for students who plan to study abroad is to attend a study abroad general information meeting. Information meetings are held regularly throughout the semester. Find out about upcoming information meetings by visiting the Center for Education Abroad’s events calendar

A study abroad handbook published by the Center for Education Abroad is updated annually and covers all programs in detail. It is available on their website or in 2-147 Dewey Hall. 

Juniors, first-semester seniors, and selected sophomores are allowed to study abroad. Students returning from study abroad are expected to spend the following semester in residence at the University of Rochester.

All students who plan to study abroad during the academic year need to apply online, first getting permission from the University of Rochester, then permission from the study abroad program they plan to attend. The University deadline for spring study is September 15, and for fall or full-year, February 15. Program application deadlines vary.

Study Abroad Status

Students going on a University of Rochester program register for SAB 301 and are charged University of Rochester tuition and room fees for the semester abroad. 

Students going on non-Rochester programs register for SAB 302 and are charged an administrative study abroad fee.

Students cannot go on inactive status and subsequently seek credit for a study abroad program.

Transfer Credit

The College has affiliations with a number of study abroad consortia and universities overseas. Programs sponsored by US colleges and universities (including University of Rochester programs) issue standard US-style transcripts, which show dates of attendance, course numbers and titles, credit hours, and grades. These transcripts are evaluated the same way as transfer credit from another US institution. Grades earned on University of Rochester programs appear on the University of Rochester transcript.

Overseas independent enrollment is not an option for students at institutions with which the College already has an affiliation. For example, there is an IES program at Dublin City University in Dublin, Ireland. If a student is interested in applying to Dublin City University, he/she must apply through the University of Rochester and IES, not directly through Dublin City University.

To ensure that course(s) taken elsewhere will transfer back to the University of Rochester, students must complete a Course Approval Form (available in Lattimore 312). Students should indicate the course(s) that they wish to receive credit for and include a copy of the course descriptions.

Most elective courses can usually be approved by an advisor in education abroad, but courses for a major or minor must be approved by the authorized faculty member in the appropriate department. Students should consult with an advisor in education abroad for assistance in completing the form.

For more information, see the Center for Education Abroad’s transfer credit page.

Financial Aid

Only students who go abroad for a semester or academic year through University-affiliated programs can apply for continuation of aid. No University of Rochester aid is available for study on non-Rochester programs, and questions concerning the continuation of aid upon the student’s return should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office in Wallis Hall. 

Students can ask the Financial Aid Office for help in filing consortium agreements, which may allow loans and some grants to apply to other schools’ programs.

Students should also be aware that a small number of study abroad programs have their own financial aid or scholarships, and that the education abroad advisor can direct them to these programs. 

Financial aid is not normally available for summer study abroad, although students planning to participate in foreign language programs can apply for Burton Awards through the Center for Education Abroad.

All questions concerning financial aid should be addressed to the Financial Aid Office.