Summer Session Courses

Summer Courses at the University of Rochester

The summer course schedule is available online in the fall. Students can register online beginning in February. Four- and six-week sessions begin after the close of the spring semester; later in the summer, the next four- and six-week sessions begin. Courses are guaranteed to run as long as students have registered by the first day of class.

Campus Life

Students are encouraged to live in the residence halls and can eat on campus. Movie nights, festival outings, and other activities provide plenty to do when studying is over. See the summer sessions activities page for more information.

Course Credit

Grades and credits earned are figured in the student’s grade point average just as they are during the academic year. However, students may not elect to take summer courses on the S/F option.

Students on Probation/Separation

Students who have been placed on academic probation or separated from the College are encouraged to consult with an academic advisor prior to registering for summer courses. In general, the following policies apply:

  • Students cannot be removed from probation as a result of summer course grades.
  • Separation from the College for academic reasons is normally for two semesters. Students are not eligible to register for summer courses at the University of Rochester until two semesters have passed.

Students Returning from Medical Leave of Absence

Students on medical leave of absence status who wish to enroll in summer courses on campus or participate in a University of Rochester summer study abroad program must receive full clearance from the University Health Service (UHS) before registering.

Summer Courses outside the University of Rochester

To receive credit, a summer courses should:

  • Take place at an educational institution that issues an official college transcript
  • Not be comparable to that for which a student has already received credit

See the transfer credit page for more information about getting credit for non-University of Rochester summer courses.

Students Separated from the College

Students who have been separated from college for unsatisfactory academic progress will not automatically receive academic credit for work taken elsewhere during the period of their separation from the College. Students should seek advice regarding such credit from the College Center for Advising Services.