The University of Rochester’s Office of Orientation and First-Year Programs provides support in the transition and onboarding of new students and their families to The College at the University of Rochester. The office collaborates with members of the current student body, faculty, staff, and alumni to build connections, discover areas of opportunity, and join in the pursuit of making each individual and the University community ever better.
The University of Rochester's Office of Orientation and First-Year Programs will continue to provide a welcoming atmosphere to all incoming students and their families to introduce them to the Rochester community.
Our office utilizes the following principles to guide our work:
- Community: It is through working with our students, colleagues, and broader Rochester community that we are able to truly be effective at our aims.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Each individual brings their own experience to the University. We work to help recognize that individuality and celebrate it within the broader transition experience.
- Responsiveness and Accuracy: Through our engagement and communication, we consistently seek to provide accurate and timely information to incoming students and families.
In its efforts, the Office of Orientation and First-Year Programs holds the following events and programs as central components of its work:
- Rochester Ready (Online Orientation): This program and communications help students prepare for the semester and get started on the right path.
- Fall and Spring Welcome Weeks: These events help guide the matriculation process and start the semesters off on the right foot.
- First-Year and Transfer Programming: These important introductory programs to help students engage with the plentiful resources that are available at the University.
- International Orientation: This program provides important information to help international students navigate the important steps to traveling to the U.S. and arriving on campus.
- Transfer Orientation: These unique programs for transfer students welcome them into the Rochester community.
- Pre-Arrival and Early Arrival Programs: Prior to Welcome Weeks, additional programming is offered (when available) to build connections and community.
Professional staff are full-time staff members that work year-round to welcome you and your family to the University community. They manage Orientation Leaders, Welcome Week Leaders, and Welcome Week Volunteers.
Orientation Leaders help shape the future of your life at the University by serving as a mentor to you and your fellow incoming first-year, transfer, and exchange students. Ahead of Fall Welcome Week and Spring Welcome Week, they provide you and your family with guidance on academics, student life, and campus resources. They also develop and host virtual and in-person programs for you ahead of your arrival and during your first semester, so you can develop relationships with your classmates and fellow students.
Due to the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, our team is working remotely.You can reach us during our office hours at the phone number and email address listed below.
Monday—Friday, 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
Closed for lunch from noon–1 p.m. daily
Office Contact Information
203 Lattimore Hall