Please consider downloading the latest version of Internet Explorer
to experience this site as intended.
Tools Search Main Menu

General Information on Export Controls

This page provides guidance to University faculty, students, and staff so that they may recognize when export regulations may apply and when an export or OFAC license may be required in connection with research.

Quick Reference for Determining Potential Application of Export Control Laws for Research Projects

For the EAR (Export Administration Regulations),

For the ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations),

  • The US Dept. of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls website,contains the regulations and other useful information regarding the restrictions on the export of certain technology or technical data, such as military applications.

The Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) citations to the regulations are as follows:

In addition, faculty doing work with an embargoed country may be subject to Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) regulations. These regulations affect nearly all transactions with those countries without regard to content or purpose. For a complete list of embargoed countries and prohibited transaction see:


As ORPA reviews every research project, it examines the proposal and the accompanying documents for any potential issues within it that may present an export control issue that must be resolved before the researcher can proceed with the research project.


For questions related to University of Rochester student, faculty and employee international travel, please consult with the Office for Global Engagement.