Legal Information

The University of Rochester is committed to helping connect undocumented and DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) students to legal resources both on our campus and in our community.

If it is a financial hardship to apply for your renewal, please speak with any of the recommended advisors listed on our support services page. Due to changing immigration regulations, it is important that you discuss your renewal with a professional three or more months in advance of the expiration date.

ISO Recent Immigration Actions and Policies

The Legal Aid Society of Rochester, NY
1 West Main Street
Rochester, NY 14614
(585) 232-4090

Volunteer Legal Services Project
1 West Main Street, #500
Rochester, NY 14614
(585) 232-3051


Students traveling within the United States are advised to carry any and all forms of identification with them, in particular documents that can be used to confirm a legal presence in the country (such as an EAD card, or employment authorization document). Given the frequent presence of Border Patrol agents at major transportation hubs in the area, students may be asked to provide this information to such officers.

For students who are considering study abroad programs, travel outside of the United States can be risky. As options might be limited, be sure to assess your risk with an immigration professional before pursuing activities abroad. You should also speak with an advisor in the Center for Education Abroad to look into your options.

Center for Education Abroad
2-161 Dewey Hall
(585) 275-7532