Normally, the parents of students receive copies of official correspondence, such as letters of academic probation, until the students reach the age of 21. Students can request that their parents do not get these mailings by filling out a statement of independence in the Academic Records Office in Lattimore 312. Parents will be notified of the student’s request.

The statement of independence bears no formal relation to financial independence and has no effect on financial aid.