Grading is an important part of faculty responsibilities. See the policy page for a list of grading policies. All grades should follow the Arts, Sciences & Engineering (AS&E) Grading Scheme or School of Nursing (SON) Grading Scheme.
Below is information about:
Summer 2022 Deadlines
Session A1 (May 16 – June 10) – Due June 24, 2022 @ 11:59 p.m.
Session A2 (May 16 – June 24) – Due July 8, 2022 @ 11:59 p.m.
Session B1 (June 27 – July 22) – Due August 5, 2022 @ 11:59 p.m.
Session B2 (June 27 – August 5) – Due August 19, 2022 @ 11:59 p.m.
Full Summer (May 16 – August 5) – Due August 19, 2022 @ 11:59 p.m.
Entering Final Grades
Final grades for all registered coursework must be entered by the published grading deadline in UR Student.
Step by step instructions for entering grades can be found on the Assigning Final Grades in UR Student (pdf).
If you have any questions about grading, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Confidentiality of Graded Material
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students a right of privacy regarding grades in courses and on individual assignments. It has been determined with the University's counsel that privacy issues arise when tests or papers are returned in class or put in boxes outside office doors.
Below are permissible ways to return graded material:
- Return the graded material in envelopes, with only the student's name visible*
- Return the graded material in discussion sections or labs, where instructors can hand it directly to students
- Have TAs return graded material directly to smaller groups of students during or after lecture
- Have students pick up graded material at a departmental office
- Seal the blue book or paper with envelope seals; no grades or comments should be visible until the seal is broken
*You are not allowed to have students look through a pile of exams or papers, even if the grades are not on the cover page.