Grading is an important part of faculty responsibilities. Below is information about:
See the policy page for a list of grading policies. All grades should follow the Arts, Sciences & Engineering (AS&E) Grading Scheme or School of Nursing (SON) Grading Scheme.
Grades for seniors for spring 2021 are due no later than 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday, May 18, 2021. Grades for all other AS&E students are due no later than 11:59 p.m. on Friday, May 28, 2021.
Final grades for all registered coursework must be entered by the published grading deadline in UR Student.
Step by step instructions for entering grades can be found on the Assigning Final Grades in UR Student PDF.
If you have any questions about grading, email email@example.com.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) gives students a right of privacy regarding grades in courses and on individual assignments. It has been determined with the University's counsel that privacy issues arise when tests or papers are returned in class or put in boxes outside office doors.
Below are permissible ways to return graded material:
- Return the graded material in envelopes, with only the student's name visible*
- Return the graded material in discussion sections or labs, where instructors can hand it directly to students
- Have TAs return graded material directly to smaller groups of students during or after lecture
- Have students pick up graded material at a departmental office
- Seal the blue book or paper with envelope seals; no grades or comments should be visible until the seal is broken
*You are not allowed to have students look through a pile of exams or papers, even if the grades are not on the cover page