Information about student rights:

Information about student policies:

The following policies can be found in the undergraduate bulletin:



Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The University of Rochester complies fully with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), 20 U.S.C. 1232g. Under FERPA students have, with certain limited exceptions, the right to inspect and review their educational records and to request the amendment of their records to ensure that they are not inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy or other rights. Requests to inspect or review records should be addressed to the registrar, or to the appropriate administrator responsible for the record and will be honored within 45 days. Any student questioning the accuracy of any record may state his or her objection in writing to the University administrator responsible for the record, who will notify the student of his or her decision within 45 days of receiving the objection. A student dissatisfied with the administrator’s decision may request a hearing pursuant to federal regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 99. Students concerned with the University’s compliance with FERPA have the right to file complaints with the U.S. Department of Education’s Family Compliance Office.

FERPA further requires, again with certain limited exceptions, that the student’s consent must be obtained before disclosing any personally identifiable information in the student’s education records. One such exception is disclosure to parents of dependent students. Another exception is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests, on a “need-to-know” basis, as determined by the administrator responsible for the file. A “school official” includes anyone employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); retired/emeritus faculty or staff; any person or company acting on behalf of the University (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); any member of the Board of Trustees or other governance/advisory body; and any student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. The University will also furnish information from education records to other agencies or institutions that have requested the information, and in which the student seeks or intends to enroll or is already enrolled, so long as the disclosure is for purposes related to the student’s enrollment or transfer. Other exceptions are described in the FERPA statute at 20 U.S.C. 1232g and regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 99.

The University considers the following to be directory information: name, campus address, e-mail address, home address, telephone number, date and place of birth, academic fields of study, current enrollment (full or part time), dates of attendance, photographs, participation in recognized activities and sports, degrees and awards, weight and height of athletic team members, previous educational agencies or institutions attended, and other similar information. The University may publicize or respond to requests for such information at its discretion. However, the use of the records for commercial or political purposes is prohibited unless approved by the appropriate dean.

Currently enrolled students may request that directory information be withheld from disclosure by making a request, in writing, to the appropriate registrar. The University assumes that failure on the part of the student to specifically request the withholding of any directory information indicates approval of disclosure.

Top ↑

Students With Disabilities

The University of Rochester is committed to making its programs and services accessible to individuals with disabilities. Students are encouraged to contact the Office of Disability Resources prior to the beginning of classes. However, students are welcome to request disability services at any time. Students with disabilities can find detailed information on procedures to register with the Office of Disability Resources and guidance on submitting supporting documentation on their website. Direct inquiries by phone to (585) 276-5075 or email at Students at the Eastman School of Music should contact the Access Coordinator at (585) 274-1165, or visit the Office of Student Life located in Eastman Commons.

Top ↑

Observance of Religious Holidays

As provided in New York Education Law Section 224-a, students who choose not to register for classes, attend classes or take exams on certain days because of their religious beliefs will be given an equivalent opportunity to register for classes or to make up the work requirements or exams they miss, without penalties or additional fees.

Top ↑


Academic Honesty

As members of an academic community, students and faculty assume certain responsibilities. One of these responsibilities is to engage in honest communication. Academic dishonesty is a serious violation of the trust upon which an academic community depends.

The Academic Honesty Policy is both an articulation of the kinds of behaviors that violate this trust and the means by which that trust is safeguarded and restored. All undergraduate students, staff, and faculty must abide by the Academic Honesty Policy.

Top ↑

Grade Release Policy

The policy of the College is to release grade information to parents when permitted by law, unless the student objects and/or disclosure would not be in the student's best interest in the judgment of the College.

Federal law (FERPA) generally prohibits a school's disclosure of grades without the student's consent. However, schools may, but are not required to, disclose academic information to parents of students who can be claimed as dependents under federal tax laws.

The College will generally honor written (not emailed), signed requests by students to release their grades to parents or other persons specified. Signed, written (not emailed) grade requests by parents of undergraduates will also generally be honored; however, the College may deny a request if the student objects or if the dean decides that disclosure is not in the student's best interest, or if the student cannot be claimed as a dependent.

Top ↑

Policy on Classroom Assignment for Disabled Students

It is the policy of the University of Rochester to provide accessible classroom space for students and instructors with disabilities. This policy is administered by the Office of the Registrar, which maintains or has access to information about the accessibility of all River Campus classroom space to persons with disabilities.

The dean of students will give the registrar the names of all known incoming disabled students at the beginning of each academic year or semester. Disabled students may also identify themselves to the registrar at any time.

During class registration, the registrar will monitor the disabled students' class schedules to determine whether anticipated class locations are accessible to the students. If a disabled student registers for a class in an inaccessible room, the registrar will ensure that modifications are made to allow access to the class, which may involve making temporary or permanent modifications to create access to the assigned room or moving the class to an accessible location.

If an assigned room has unique features or houses special equipment necessary to the program, the University will either modify the room or relocate the class and move the equipment (or provide equivalent equipment in the new room).

If the registrar learns that the instructor for a class is disabled and needs accommodation, the room will be modified, or the class will be relocated to a room accessible to that person.

If a hearing-impaired student requires an Assistive Listening Device (ALD) as an accommodation in the classroom, one will be provided. A student may request such a device from a faculty member, the registrar, one of the University's disability resource coordinators, or by contacting Event and Classroom Management at (585) 275-9014, on 24 hours' notice.

Top ↑

Nondiscrimination Policy Statement

The University of Rochester values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity for persons regardless of age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, military/veteran status, national origin, race, religion/creed, sex, sexual orientation or any other status protected by law. Further, the University complies with all applicable non-discrimination laws in the administration of its policies, admissions, employment, and access to and treatment in University programs and activities.

Top ↑

Immunization Requirement For All Entering Part-Time And Full-Time Matriculated Students

All matriculated students born after January 1, 1957* attending a college or university in New York State must provide the following information with verification from the student's physician or an appropriate school official.

New York State Public Law #2165 mandates that students not in compliance with the requirements are to be withdrawn from school and required to leave campus. The immunization requirements should be completed before you arrive on campus.

Measles/Rubella Vaccination

Required proof of two vaccinations after January 1, 1968, and on or after first birthday. The full date (day, month and year) and signature of a physician or school official must be provided for each vaccination.

In many cases, students have only received one measles vaccination and will need to receive the second one. (Note: There must be at least 30 days between shot #1 and shot #2.)

If the student had the illness, the date of illness and signature of the diagnosing physician are required. Students may also prove immunity by providing a copy of a laboratory report which demonstrates a protective (positive) antibody titer.

Mumps Vaccination

Required proof of vaccination after January 1, 1969, and on or after first birthday. If the student had the illness, the date of illness and signature of the diagnosing physician are required. Students may also prove immunity by providing a copy of a laboratory report which demonstrates a protective (positive) antibody titer.

Rubella Vaccination

Required proof of vaccination after January 1, 1969, and on or after first birthday. If no vaccination, students may prove immunity by providing a copy of a laboratory report which demonstrates a protective (positive) antibody titer.

*Students born before January 1, 1957, must complete the requirements for measles, mumps, and rubella. This may be done by self-report; that is, they should have the same shots but do not need a physician or school verification.

Completing Vaccine Requirements

We ask that you complete these requirements before you arrive on campus. If you are unable to do so, you can complete the requirements at the University Health Service (UHS) when you come to the University. There will be a charge for the office visit and for any vaccines or tests administered if you have this done at UHS. There will be a late fee if you do not complete the required tests and immunizations prior to the first day of classes.

Top ↑

Email Policy

Official communications from the College may be sent electronically using the student's University-assigned email address. The College expects that students will read such official College communications in a timely fashion. Students who choose to forward email from their University account to another email address remain responsible for receiving and reading official College communications.

For more information, please contact the registrar’s office at (585) 275-8131.

Top ↑

Policy on Refunds of Student Charges for Change of Status

Policy Statement

This policy defines the institutional refunds of student charges (tuition, room, board, etc.) when students voluntarily or involuntarily withdraw, take a leave of absence, or go on inactive status. The policy aligns with the Federal Title IV financial aid refund regulations with respect to Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs authorized by the Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA).

Reason for the Policy

The University of Rochester is adopting this policy in order to ensure compliance with the FSA Program regulations regarding return of Title IV funds (R2T4) while at the same time aligning the Financial Aid Refund Policy with the institutional policy on reduction of charges.

Applicability of the Policy

This policy applies to all University of Rochester (UR) students except those enrolled at the Eastman Community Music School (ECMS), faculty, and staff who are responsible for processing student withdrawals/leave of absence, financial aid, and bursar charges. This policy applies to non-degree students and matriculated degree students and includes summer and academic year enrollment.

Policy Description

Withdraw/Leave of Absence/Inactive Status Prior to the First Day of Classes

Students who cancel admission, withdraw or take a leave from the University, voluntarily or involuntarily, before the first day of classes will receive a full tuition and fee refund (100%). Such students are not included in University records as registered for the term. All disbursed Title IV aid, institutional aid, state and other aid will be returned to the appropriate account by the Financial Aid Office. Note, however, that non-refundable application and enrollment fees will not be refunded.

Withdraw/Leave of Absence/Inactive Status On or After the First Day of Classes

An enrolled student who withdraws or voluntarily takes a leave from the University on or after the first day of classes and through the seventh day of the term (first week), will receive a full tuition and fee refund (100%). An enrolled student who becomes inactive on or after the eighth day of the term but before the time when s/he will have completed 60 percent of the period of enrollment (semester/quarter)1, will have their institutional charges and institutional aid adjusted based on a daily proration of attendance. Federal financial aid is adjusted as described below.

A student who withdraws or takes a leave of absence after the 60 percent point of the period of enrollment will receive no refund of institutional charges or financial aid for that term. (It is important to note, however, that this is likely to impact renewal eligibility for financial aid in the next period of enrollment. For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at the appropriate school and/or see the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for details.)

Housing refunds and meal plan costs are prorated on a per diem basis. For board plan credits, Dining Services will credit the student’s meal plan/URos account to his/her student account upon notification of a change in status by the staff member responsible in each school. Other charges (such as library fines, health service charges, unpaid parking fines, UR Student Health Insurance, etc.) are not adjusted upon the student’s withdrawal. Courses in which the student was enrolled beyond the add/drop deadline appear on the student’s record and show the grade of “W” (withdrew).

The refund schedule for the UHS health fee is as follows:

  • 100% during the first two weeks of the semester or first week of the quarter, for students NOT insured with UR Student Health Insurance.
  • 0% during the remainder of the semester or quarter.
  • 0% for students covered by UR Student Health Insurance, regardless of time in semester. Students with UR insurance are not eligible for health fee or insurance premium refunds. Health benefits continue until current coverage ends.

Students Receiving Title IV Federal Aid

Per federal regulations, a student earns his/her aid based on the period of time she remains enrolled. Unearned Title IV funds, other than federal work-study, must be returned to the appropriate federal agency. During the first 60 percent of the enrollment period, a student earns Title IV funds in direct proportion to the length of time s/he remains enrolled. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60 percent point earns all the aid for the payment period.

For example, if a period of enrollment is 100 days and the student completes 25 days, then s/he has earned 25 percent of her aid. The remainder of the aid must be returned to the appropriate federal agency. Unearned aid must be returned to the specific programs, in order, up to the total net amount disbursed from each source. The order of return is as follows: Unsubsidized Direct Loan, Subsidized Direct Loan, Perkins Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct Parent PLUS Loan, Pell Grant, FSEOG, Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant.

Top ↑

Part-time Matriculated Undergraduates Tuition Refund Schedule

A student who changes their status from full time to part-time during the add/drop period (first four weeks of the semester) will receive an adjustment of tuition and other charges as  noted on the tuition refund schedule for part-time matriculated undergraduates. Students are not permitted to change their status from full time to part-time after the add/drop period has ended.

Top ↑

1. Quarters are only applicable to students enrolled in the Simon Business School.