Course Changes and Withdrawals

Add or swap a course

Matriculated students (current UR students enrolled in a degree program)

If you are currently enrolled (full-time OR part-time) in a UR degree program, you can add or swap a course in UR Student up to the add deadline for each one of the five Summer Sessions, as long as you meet the course prerequisites and are eligible to enroll in the course. View the tutorial to add or swap a course in UR Student.

*If you wish to enroll in more than 12.99 credits (for the entire summer session) or enroll in two courses that have a time conflict, you will not be able to register through the UR Student system. Please refer to the course policies for credit overloads and time conflicts on the Course Information page.

Non-matriculated students (not currently enrolled in a UR degree program)

If you are NOT currently enrolled in a University of Rochester degree program, you can add or swap a Summer Session course by the add deadline through the following process:

  1. Review enrollment policies, course information, and important deadlines. Meet any requirements that apply to you.
  2. Use the Course Description and Course Schedule (CDCS) to find Summer Sessions courses. (View instructions for searching CDCS.)
  3. Complete the online non-matriculated student registration form. This forms allows you to submit personal information to the University and is necessary in order to set up your online student accounts and/or verify that your online student accounts are still active.
  4. Once your form has successfully been submitted, you will receive a follow-up email from the Registrar's Office within 3-5 business days, either confirming your course enrollment(s) or asking for additional information. Please note that failure to respond promptly to requests for additional information may result in a delay in your course registration.
Incoming first-year and transfer students (beginning their undergraduate program of study in August 2024)

If you are beginning your undergraduate program of study at the University of Rochester in Fall 2024, you are required to meet with an academic advisor before adding or swapping a Summer Session course. Use the buttons below to view instructions for adding or swapping a course.

How to add    How to swap

Drop or withdraw from a course

Summer Session courses can be dropped in UR Student (view tutorial). Courses dropped before the course's drop deadline  will be deleted entirely from your official record.

If you drop a course after the drop deadline, it will be considered a withdrawal, which will result in "W" on your transcript, regardless of whether you are auditing the course or taking it for credit. Withdrawing from a course is not permitted after the course's withdrawal deadline. To withdraw from a course, complete a Drop/Add Form (pdf) and email it to the Registrar ( for processing.

Instructors: Telephone calls or emails to offices on campus, or failure to attend classes are NOT considered official notice of intent to withdraw. The official date of withdrawal determines the amount of tuition refunded.

Change your grading basis

You may change your grading basis from credit to audit for Summer Sessions courses until the add deadline for each session. (Please note that your tuition charges will be affected when switching to a different grading basis.) If you withdraw from a course you are auditing after the drop deadline, it will result in a "W" on your transcript and no refund.

To change your grading basis, you will need to fill out a Drop/Add Form (pdf) with your new grading basis and course information and email it to the Registrar ( for approval.

Petitions to the administrative committee

Adding, dropping, or withdrawing from a course after the session's deadlines requires a petition for an exception to the College policy. To submit a petition, you must:

  1. Complete both the Petition Form and Drop/Add Form (pdf) with the courses you are wishing to add or drop from your schedule.
  2. Email the Drop/Add Form to the University Registrar (

Please note: it may take 5-7 business days to process your petition request. Petition decisions will be emailed to the address we have on file for you.