Frequently Asked Questions

If you need help discovering the answers to you specific question or further clarification of the FAQs below, please email

The University of Rochester recognizes the significant impacts COVID-19 has had on the Spring 2020 term. Our admissions committees are aware of the variety of grading policies implemented, and the impacts these policies have on a student’s GPA, as they review applications. We continue to evaluate applicants holistically recognizing the context of each individual's application. As always, candidates may use their personal statements or recommendation letters to highlight special circumstances or achievements that may not be apparent due to alterations in grading policies at your own school.

How are admissions decision made?

Admission to graduate programs in Arts, Sciences and Engineering (AS&E) is highly competitive. A qualified applicant needs a strong academic record, as evidenced by high grades in relevant coursework and strong performance on the GREs, as well as comprehensive letters of recommendation. Additionally, many applicants have research experiences that have resulted in publications.

We recommend that applicants review the relevant program web pages to determine how their interests align with the program’s research and academic focus.

Can I apply with a three-year degree?

If you are applying with a three-year degree from a foreign institution, you will need to provide a WES evaluation stating that the degree you were awarded is equivalent to a bachelor’s degree. Once this information is submitted, then graduate programs in AS&E will accept that you have the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree.

Can I have more than three letters of recommendation?

The University of Rochester encourages students to submit a maximum of three strong letters of recommendation, which is all our online application system accommodates. If you have additional letters of recommendation, please contact the department to which you are applying to see if they will accept additional letters.


Do I have to take TOEFL if I have a MA or BA degree from a North American university?

If you have completed a bachelor’s degree from an English-speaking school located in one of the countries listed below, then the TOEFL/IETLS/PTE academic requirement is automatically waived.

List of countries:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Ireland
  • New Zealand
  • United Kingdom
  • United States

Otherwise, you can petition the department to waive the English Language Exam Requirement. Please contact the department’s graduate coordinator to request a waiver.

Do I need to send my official transcript through mail?

For the application process, please upload all transcripts through the application portal. If you are admitted and decide to attend the University of Rochester, you will be required to submit official transcripts to verify your degree. These transcripts typically arrive in our office during the summer before your start date. The actual due date for official transcripts will be posted on our website.

How do I send letters of recommendation?

Letters of recommendation must be sent directly to the University of Rochester. The most efficient way to accomplish this is to submit your recommenders' contact information through our online application.

If they are not receiving their email reference requests, please:

  1. Verify accuracy of your recommender's email address
  2. Encourage your recommender to check any filters/spam folders

Still having problems? Email with your name, your recommender's name, and contact information. Please include information about your troubleshooting efforts.

What are the application deadlines?

The graduate committees of each program at the University of Rochester set their own application deadlines. Your application and all supporting materials must be submitted by the deadline of the program to which you are applying (check your program web page). Early applications are strongly encouraged.

Do I need my community college transcript?

Yes. The University of Rochester requires full academic disclosure. This includes submitting transcripts from all institutions of higher education.

How do I submit my application?

All applications must be submitted through our online application system.  

What is the application timeline?

See the summary of the general application timeline for programs in Arts, Sciences and Engineering page or review your chosen program’s department web page for additional details.

How to I check the status of my application?

Visit the application status page by logging in to the online application system.

What are the minimum test scores required?

The admission process for programs in Arts, Sciences and Engineering allows each department to have different admission requirements, including minimum test scores, GPA, application deadlines, etc. It is critical to review the specific program’s applying page to find the information you are looking for.

Can I submit multiple standardized test results?

Yes, our application system is capable of collecting and storing multiple GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE academic scores. Please check with the specific program’s academic department to understand how those scores will be viewed and interpreted when you submit your application.

Does the University of Rochester require a tuition deposit?

Students admitted to master’s programs at the University of Rochester are required to submit a non-refundable tuition deposit to reserve a slot in the entering class. The graduate tuition deposit confirms your intent to enroll in a master’s program at the University. Check with the department you are applying to to confirm the amount of the tuition deposit. 

The tuition deposit must be submitted through the online application system via a credit card payment and will be credited against the charges for tuition and fees in your student account. As a reminder for our international students, we will not issue an I-20 or DS-2019 until you have submitted your graduate tuition deposit.

Students admitted to doctoral programs are not required to submit a tuition deposit.

Deposits must be received by the response deadline indicated on your acceptance letter in order to reserve your space in the class. Deposits received after the due date are considered if space remains in the class.

If paying the tuition deposit presents a financial hardship, such as for those who will be financing their master’s program through federal loans, please email with the following information in order to request a waiver of the deposit.

  • Name
  • Birth date
  • Application reference number
  • Program of study
  • Statement of financial need