Student Support

Seeking Advice and Resolving Problems

Graduate study is an exciting time. Many graduate students make rapid and steady progress throughout their studies, and continue on to their degree without incident. However, occasionally graduate students experience obstacles along the way.

Your faculty advisor should be your primary source of advice. However, there may be times when the advisor is unable to help a student, when a student does not feel comfortable discussing the situation with their advisor, or when the problem involves the advisor.

In such cases, it can be helpful to seek outside advice or support. Students should be aware that there are multiple sources of help, including:

Most problems can be resolved through informal discussion. When this is unsuccessful, you can issue a formal complaint, submitted in writing to the dean of graduate studies, who will assemble the appropriate committee to investigate the matter.

Other Resources

The University also offers various sources of help that are outside the usual academic “chain of command.”

CARE Network

Are you concerned about a friend, peer, or classmate? The CARE network is a resource to aid University of Rochester students in distress. This system allows Rochester faculty, staff, students, and affiliates to confidentially express concern for a student and get them connected to appropriate campus resources.

Students are often the first to know when one of their friends, roommates, or peers is significantly struggling. For this reason, Rochester students are likely to be the most helpful in getting another student connected to campus resources through the CARE network.

We encourage you to submit a CARE report when there is significant reason to be concerned about another student, or even for yourself. CARE reports can be submitted online or on the UR Mobile App.

For more information, contact

University Counseling Center (UCC)

All full-time graduate students can take advantage of UCC’s services, including individual and couples therapy, group therapy, medication management, 24-hour crisis services, consultation, and educational presentations. Sessions with UCC counselors are free and strictly confidential. Students can set up appointments by contacting UCC at:

UCC Professional On-Call: (585) 275-3113
Life Line: (585) 275-5151
On-Campus Security: x13
Off-Campus Security: (585) 275-3333

See the UCC website for more information.  

International Services Office (ISO)

Graduate students with questions about maintaining their status, reporting changes to the ISO, and seeking legal employment opportunities should contact the International Services Office.

Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL)

CETL provides individual and group programs for students who want to improve their study skills and excel academically. CETL also provides support for students at the dissertation-writing phase who need to learn how to work in the unstructured environment faced at this stage in their program.

See the CETL website for more information.

Disability Resources

Disability resources staff provide support to students with disabilities. Services include:

  • Extended time for completing exams
  • Alternative testing procedures
  • Note-takers
  • Sign language interpreters

Graduate students who have disabilities are encouraged to speak with disability counselors about options available to them. See the disability resources site for more information.

University Health Services (UHS)

Students with medical health issues should contact UHS for assessment and treatment.

Interfaith Chapel

The Interfaith Chapel is a place for worship, meditation, and quiet study; for community service, service-learning, and discussion of social justice issues; for weddings, unions, and celebrations for alumni and the wider community; a site for social and musical programs, talks on moral and ethical dilemmas, and memorials. Graduate students are encouraged to take advantage of the programs and religious faiths supported by the chapel.