Global Visitor Program FAQ
The Center for Education Abroad is happy to provide an Early Invitation Letter in order to secure funding for your program at the University of Rochester. Contact URVisitor@rochester.edu.
Requirements for health insurance depend on your visa category and the length of your program at the University of Rochester. Please review the information found on the health insurance, immunization, and health care page.
The average time to complete the Global Visitor Process and process an immigration document takes 5-8 weeks. Therefore, we recommend beginning the Global Visitor Process 3-6 months in advance of your anticipated arrival.
Yes. All visiting students are required to maintain full-time, non-matriculated enrollment every academic term for the duration of their program as reflected on the I-20 or DS-2019. The administrator of the hosting department at the University of Rochester should assist with the registration.
All visiting students pay the Visiting Student Fee, International Fee, Activity Fee (if applicable), Health Insurance and Health Fee (if applicable) per academic semester. Prior to arrival, it is required all visitors provide proof of funding with their online application. Original and current documentation will be required when you apply for your visa or travel to the United States to begin your program. Funding may be in the form of scholarship, offer letter, bank statement, etc. Documentation must have the specific amount of funding.
The Visiting Student Fee is $300 per semester.
The Visiting Student Fee supports the Global Visitor Program for visiting students at the University of Rochester. The fee provides on-going support and a central point of contact for visitors, faculty, and staff. The Center for Education Abroad:
- Is the central point of contact for the host department, visitor, International Services Office (ISO), registrar, University Health Services (UHS), bursars, and other university offices involved in the Global Visitor Program
- Reviews, approves, and processes the application and Indication of Interest
- Drafts and processes the offer letter and IP agreement
- Ensures student information is entered in UR Student to generate ID
- Coordinates with UHS to confirm the visitor’s arrival and prepare insurance coverage
- Provides up-to-date online resources including information on housing, health care, transportation, campus and community events
- Ensures visitors remain properly registered in the student system for the entirety of their stay per immigration regulation
- Coordinates with the Bursar’s Office to clarify any outstanding balances or questions regarding billing
- Ensures visitors remain in compliance with both immigration and University policies
The International Fee supports the International Services Office and supports processing immigration documents. The International Fee is charged to all international students at the University of Rochester. The Visiting Student Fee supports the Center for Education Abroad and supports the Global Visitor Program for visiting students at the University.
Regardless of the amount of time on campus, all visiting students pay the Visiting Student Fee. Please see “What does the Visiting Student Fee cover” for more information. The Visiting Student Fee is per semester and payable at the beginning of each semester.
No. A visiting student will not be charged traditional tuition. If a visitor chooses to enroll in specific courses with approval from the hosting faculty, traditional course fees would be applicable and in addition to the Visiting Student Fee.
All outstanding balances must be paid prior to your departure.