Student Activity Vans

Wilson Commons Student Activities manages two Students’ Association Government funded 7-passenger vans. The vans are available to be reserved by student organizations and Wilson Commons Student Activities. Vans are reserved through Virtual EMS by using the Student Activities Van Request template.

SA Vans in a Parking Space

Using the Vans

  • SA Vans can only be reserved by non-exclusive College Student Organizations. Fraternity & Sorority Life organizations who are receiving supplemental funding for an activity can use the vans to support that specific activity.
  • Vans are to be used to support the success of a College Student Organization’s mission. Examples of use include:
    • Educational or volunteer opportunities (i.e. off-campus tutoring)
    • Group bonding
    • Facilitating events (i.e. picking up supplies or transportation to an event)
  • All reservations must be made through VEMS 14 days before the vans are needed.
  • Requests cannot exceed 4 hours and vans must be returned before the end of the reservation. Returning the vans late may result in a loss of reservation privileges.
  • Vans cannot be used as a looping shuttle service.
  • Cancellations must be made in EMS before the start of the reservation. Frequent last-minute cancellations will be documented and may result in a loss of reservation privileges.
  • Vans can only be driven by a University approved driver (see below for more information).
  • Van usage is limited to a 25-mile radius of the University and cannot be driven for more than 50-miles round trip for each reservation.
  • Reservations can only reserve one van at a time.

Become an Approved Driver

SA Vans can only be driven by University approved drivers. Students looking to become an approved driver must meet the following qualifications:

  • Have a valid United States driver’s license for at least one year
    • We cannot accept or process international driver’s licenses.
  • Be involved in a student organization or an employee of Wilson Commons Student Activities
  • Maintain a clean driving record
  • Adhere to the Safer Driver Program guide

To become an approved driver, students must submit a MVR/Safer Driver Program form and wait for it to be approved. Please note:

  • No more than 3 executive board members can be approved per student organization.
  • Individuals with an out of state license will need to request a Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) for their state through their local DMV. Costs may vary. Produced reports will then need to be uploaded through the MVR/Safer Driver Program form.

Policy Exceptions

To request an exception to any portion of the policy listed above, please submit an Exception Form.

Other Transportation Options

If the SA vans are not able to meet an organizations transportation needs they should work with their advisor to explore some alternative options, such as:

  • Campus Shuttle Services
  • College Bus Charter Services
  • Enterprise Rental Cars
  • Zipcar