Each student is provided with a key to their room, a suite/apartment door key if applicable, and swipe card (your UR ID card) access for the outside door. Carry your keys on you at all times and always lock your door.
If your key(s) are lost or stolen, you must request a lock change from your area office as soon as possible. Lock change charges may vary by area and time of the year, so check with your area office for more information. These charges are billed to your student account.
Keys cannot be duplicated. You must return your original key when you check out. If you do not return a key upon check out, or return a duplicated key, you will be charged for a lock change.
Mailbox keys are handled entirely though the Todd Union mail center. Do not return a mail key to the Office for Residential Life and Housing Services upon check out.
It is important to always lock your door and to keep your keys on you at all times. While the Office for Residential Life and Department of Public Safety staff can assist with lock outs, repeated lock outs could result in a conduct violation.
What to do if you’re locked out
The instructions below are for every building except Riverview Apartments, Brooks Crossing, and houses on the Fraternity Quad.
- The first thing you should do when locked out is try to make contact with your roommate to let you into your room. If you do not have a roommate or yours is not available go to step 2.
- Your RA, or any RA on your floor can let you into your room if they are available. Exercise courtesy and do not ask your RA to let you in late at night or early in the morning (go to step 5 during these times). If your RA is not available, go to step 3.
- If you are locked out Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. your area office can lend you a loaner key to let you into your room. Riverview residents will need to go to the management office in Building C, not their area office. You should then retrieve your key and return the loaner key immediately. If it is between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. any day of the week go to step 4.
- Your RA on Duty can let you into your room between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. any day of the week.
- If it is between 5-8 p.m. Monday-Friday or if it is Saturday or Sunday before 8 p.m., you must call the Department of Public Safety at (585) 233-3333 to let you into your room.
See the flow chart below for a visual representation:
Riverview and Brooks Crossing: What to do if you’re locked out
The Department of Public Safety does all lock outs for Riverview Apartments, Brooks Crossing, and houses on the Fraternity Quad. Call them at (585) 233-3333 to be let into your room.